A Territorial Block House
In 1792 a blockhouse was constructed about 1/2 mile upstream from Fort Southwest Point. The location was chosen because of its strategic Importance. It was constructed at the boundary between the U. S. Territory and the Cherokee Nation, as defined by the 1791 Holston Treaty where the Clinch River flows into the Tennessee River Additionally the Avery Trace ran nearby. The Avery Trace was the first road connecting Knoxville and Nashville Upon the Avery Trace’s completion in 1788, it became Tennessee’s major westward route, bringing travelers through the area and leading to the settlement of the City of Kingston, which was Incorporated in 1799.
As settlement Increased, the hostilities between the white settlers and the Cherokee and Creek Nations escalated. Territorial Governor William Blount, concerned by the level of hostility placed duty under the command of General John Sevier who chose to establish the blockhouse near Fort Southwest Point as his base of operations. In 1793 a small attachment of federal regular troops was established here as well. In 1794 the federal troops began providing armed escorts for travelers crossing Cherokee Territory between the blockhouse and Nashville.